Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Beauty is useless

How many beautiful people do you know that are happily married? I don't just mean attractive people. I really don't think I have any friends that are homely. All my friends are pretty. And most of them are happy. Or if they're not, it has nothing to do with how they look. Which is my point: how many famously beautiful people really have enviable lives? I'm talking about beyond pretty; the famous people we all wish we were, with the fabulous chest and the cellulite-free thighs, the gorgeous hair, the perfect skin. Audrey Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman, Grace Kelly-- all the stunning women of movies past had unhappy love lives. Robin Wright just split from Sean Penn. I guess Catherine Zeta-Jones is happy, but she's the only one I can think of that IS.

So here's the point: while beauty might be a good tool to ATTRACT people, or fame, it really doesn't help you get the things that matter. Thankfully for me!

No comments: